Monday 29 August 2011

Drunkard on the Sofa

I had forgotten about my love hate relationship with the quilting process.  When I first start the quilting I am convinced it all looks rubbish and I have ruined a quilt top, I pretty much think it is the end and  then as it progresses I relax and can see the bigger picture, its ok, I think it will work, I like it.  Truth be told, I do not like the actual quilting bit and it does not like me.   
 I like simple lines in quilting but my machine is very small and my arms can't take lots of shoving around of fabric layers, so even a small quilt like this is hard going for me- that's why I usually make small things.  I have designed and made hundreds of quilts in my head but in reality, stacks of fabric wait uncut whilst I work out a quilt as you go method that will work with the fabric and the design until my head hurts!  
As there was linen in some of the edges of this quilt I used a 3 step zig zag to catch any fraying fabric before binding and it worked beautifully- I will use that before I bind anything in the future, better than standard zig zag.
The binding is a Joel Dewberry print, Herringbone from the Modern Meadow range.  I have fancied this as a binding ever since I saw Meg use it on a cushion, it blended in to just the right amount.  Perfect for the sofa.  In a small room I have to apply a bit of caution and avoid too may quilted patchwork items for fear of it looking like this...quilted ceiling anyone?- from 'Prize Country Quilts', a rather wonderful old quilting book.

 In a small room I have to apply a bit of caution and avoid too may quilted patchwork items for fear of it looking like this...quilted ceiling anyone?- from 'Prize Country Quilts', a rather wonderful old quilting book.
The mornings are darker and school is starting to beckon... must make the most of the remaining holiday.  Thinking of those in USA affected by Irene, I have seen some frightening pics of the storm, and thinking of a few other people too.
 x to you all 
sib blog

15 comments:

  1. That is such a pretty quilt - I love how you use those mixed neutrals in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very pretty quilt
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is beautiful! I love how you used linen in different shades - very interesting to look at! The quilted wall .. hmm.. maybe I'll have to pass too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful, just beautiful! Hmmm...it's an interesting look in that bedroom, a tad too claustrophobic for me!! (How on earth would you ever get to sleep?!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so pretty! And that binding is absolute perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is this so you can reserve your place on the sofa? - surely no-one can be allowed to actually sit on it - it is too beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You mean we are not aiming to quilt everything that doesn't move?? I can relax now. Your quilt is beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilts are too pretty to look like that granny suite! I find free motion quilting makes my perfectionist side cringe with uneven stitches - I totally understand your disdain for the quilting part. The finished quilt is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sofa drunkard is lovely! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Straigt line piecing (which I happen to really like) works really well with this block. I like the way your quilt turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Personally I quoted fancy a quilted ceiling so I can lie in bed under a quilt whilst admiring another one on the ceiling! Your quilt is lovely, the quilting is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  12. even if you don't like the process of quilting, the quilt sure likes you. that looks fabulous and the binding is my absolute favorite. fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a lovely quilt!
    As for the photo of the "quilted" room I thought the picture was upside down when I scrolled down until I saw the bed and the chair. :-) Read the post via the email from Feedburner where the photos's bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt turned out so lovely. If it were mine I don't think I could bear anyone to sit on it!

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love this quilt. I've wanted to do a drunkard's path quilt for ages-you've increased that desire all the more! Very nice! (And I agree with Margaret-don't think I would want anyone to sit on it!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.