Tuesday 12 June 2012

318 Bee Table Runner

I have had a little mini stack of bee blocks waiting patiently to become a table runner,  I was in 318 Patchwork Bee a little while back and my theme was "Afternoon Tea".  I always had these blocks in mind for this purpose and now it is sitting on my table it makes me smile and think about all the people who made a block or two- Ayumi, Tamiko, Charise and Leila.  Simple construction, sashed with Kokka teapot print linen and mini fussy cut squares, I quilted it without backing...
Then added the backing to make a combined backing/binding blanket style edge.  It is an easy finish so her is a quick tutorial if it is new to you!   After the quilting, attache to a backing at least 1 inch bigger all round.  I use 505 spray and a few safety pins.  For a finished 1/4 inch bound edge, trim backing over hang to just over 1/2 inch from the edge of the runner all round.  At the corners, pencil a 1/4 border from edge of runner and then draw a  45 degree diagonal across the corner- just like the pic!  Trim this off with scissors.  
Fold the freshly cut edge in so it fits behind the corner of the runner.  Press the long unfinished backing edges  firstly towards the runner, and then turn the folded edge so it forms the binding around the runner.
Pin the binding on the front at each corner.  Hand stitch the mitred corners using ladder stitch- (Search on youtube if you are not sure what this is! It is a very useful stitch).  You can then stitch the rest of the binding down, by hand or machine- up to you!  I chose a small zig zag to add a bit of zing!

We have a smallish table so this is a narrow runner- it now lives along the back edge by the wall with my radio and cup of tea permanently on it!
And it constantly lifts my heart, thankyou to the block makers...loving your work! Left to right, tea pot- Tamiko, Cherry cup-Ayumi; Teapot/cup- Leila; Milk/Sugar- Tamiko; Tea/cup- Charise; Kettle-Ayumi.
If you like a bit of paper piecing, Leila's new house pattern can be found here, and Charise's Spool Starburst is here.
sib blog

36 comments:

  1. Very nice! This came together perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! No wonder it makes you smile :-) Thanks for the tutorial xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out so great Kerry!!
    I remember trying to do a binding like that on my very first quilt no less, it was a disaster! I had no idea what I was doing you should have seen those mitered corners they were hilarious ;) Perhaps it is time to give this another go now. Thanks for the lovely tute and the shout out x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely darling! Thanks for sharing some of the process...

    ReplyDelete
  5. They work so well together that you would never know they were by different makers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I will be breaking in to admire this in real life when we're a bit nearer ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the tutorial! I have two table runners on my summer "to finish" list. This will help immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. I want this. I wish this was mine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's adorable! And thank you for a mini tute, I've never tried this before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so very cute! love this idea - another to store away for "someday" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww... So pretty! I can stare at this beauty for hours!! It amazes me how each and every blocks made by several talented sewists goes along so well with others. And thank you for sharing the tutorial, Kerry. You're simply awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too kind Amy! They all did such a lovely job with the blocks- I can look at each one and admire it!

      Delete
  12. As we speak, I am trying to track down a copy of KUMIKO FUJITA'S PATCHWORK PATTERN 318. I must have it but it looks as if it may be out of print. I have contacted a supplier in Japan so fingers crossed. Thank you for this post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a lovely, happy addition to your kitchen Kerry! Thanks for the wee tut too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Abso-flipping-lutely wonderful. Great mini-tute too x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous, great little tutorial too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute, love how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super cute! I like your table by the way. Sometimes I forget about doing little items for myself to brighten the home. I totally get what you are saying about it lifting your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of those things that I see such a lot and I know I will constantly find myself looking at it!

      Delete
  18. Beautiful! Makes for a really interesting table runner (sometimes I find runners a bit boring!). Lots to look at and enjoy on this one! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! What a fabulous table runner!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i am super duper in love with this! i wish it was mine! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a super fun table runner. Thank you for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This turned out so cute, Kerry. You are so lucky to have such a great bee.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoy every post! Especially this one. I spent so many hours trying to find a copy of the book, to no avail. Any suggestions?
    Thanks for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a gorgeous table runner! Good job everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the very handy tutorial! The table runner is so gorgeous, and what a great momento of your talented online friends...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love how the patterns and fabrics compliment each other so well to make a stunning table runner!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.