Monday 3 September 2012

Brit Quilt Swap- Summer Medallion

I have finished and sent my quilt and it is on its way to its new and lovely owner!  Here are some pics.   A hint on where it might be going and a glimpse at the backing fabric- a vintage print which I picked for the colour, the motifs are crazy clocks and timepieces.
This quilt was based on 'Mrs Vigor's Medallion' by Brigitte Giblin, from her beautiful and inspiring book, 'Feathering the Nest'.  It is a scaled down version of the centre motif. It was a journey of construction, starting with English paper piecing the centre star- tricky with its subtle curves, I will do a separate post on how I managed that and some tips in case you fancy doing the same.
Brit Quilt Summer Medallion close up
The scallop style edge is also English paper pieced and added to the centre star.  This whole motif is appliquéd onto the background.
The outer triangle ring was foundation pieced and then appliquéd around the medallion.  The solid background fabric is Verdigris from Connecting Threads.  Penny sent me this along with some of their other solids.  They have a lovely feel, a smoother than Kona and their colours are incredible.  They don't ship internationally, but USA and Canadian quilters and no doubt familiar with their fabrics.
I hand quilted- do not look closely, this is not my best skill.   I tried machine quilting but it was not going to sit well on such a lot of hand piecing.  I bound it with a lovely scrap that Marit sent me, perfect colours and print and added a scrap of Chloe's closet check to make up the length.
Brit Quilt: Summer Medallion Quilt
I loved making this,  It was a struggle at times but a new way of working.  I can't do sustained handwork as it is hard on the hands and arms but enjoy spells of it.  I was sewing this off and on all through the summer and it has been a summer of change.  I love it but I don't tend to cling to what I have make for swaps as I make them with the recipient clearly in my mind.  The selfish part was choosing this pattern- I was desperate to make this from Feathering the Nest from the moment I  saw it.  I think I have ticked enough boxes with colours and prints to tickle my partner's fancy.   It has been sent with a pile of goodies, I wish it safe transit.  And I wonder what I will receive in this swap too, hmm, curious...
sib blog

32 comments:

  1. it's so lovely! Lucky partner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most of us in the swap are hoping it is coming to us! It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks amazing! Lucky partner indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the recipient has a good security system, otherwise it may mysteriously disappear in the night!!! Totally beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is wonderful!!!!!
    I bet you partner will be so happy to get it!!!!
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is stunning, I bet your recipient will squeal with delight when she opens that x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should be very proud of this beauty! Your partner will be bouncing around with excitement! And I hope what you receive in return is just as swoon worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally amazing..love the colours and shapes, you have a very fortunate partner!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your partner will surely love it! I am so relieved to hear that you appliquéd this to the background. I was having all manner of issues trying to comprehend how on earth you set those scallops in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, rats - I know it's not coming my way (though I do love the quilt I did get) - someone is going to be very lucky

    ReplyDelete
  11. So gorgeous and amazing Kerry, it's just beautiful. Your partner will be bowled over. Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is completely gorgeous - great colours and fabric choices. You have a very lucky partner!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You do amazing work, Kerry! This is so pretty and such a complicated design. Your partner is very lucky!!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous! I have used Connecting Threads solids and love them. Will look for your tips on epp.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hmmm, where could it be headed? timepieces are the clue? lol! It's super lovely Kerry. Your partner is going to be over the moon excited. I know I would be!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. it's beautiful, kerry! your piecing so absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's stunning! I like the sound of the solid you used, it's a pity they don't post to the UK :o(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful quilt. Piecing is amazing. Love your label - how did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. This made my heart jump for joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This made my heart jump for joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kerry, it's beautiful, and your hand quilting looks very even and nicely done as well. Your recipient will be delighted with it! How big is this quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I second the heart jumping for joy. I love your color decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  23. gorgeous!!!!I love that book, too, and it`s so fun seeing you change the style of the book completely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This could not be more fantastic. I adore this. You inspire me always.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I so should have known it was you that made this when I saw it on Twitter. It is gorgeous malorgeous so it is.
    Patti xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. absolutely incredible. kerry, you have done an amazing job on this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is just lovely!! The binding print is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your quilt,your partner is very lucky. Great colour choices. And great that you enjoyed making it (most important!!)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is absolutely brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.