Sunday 23 September 2012

Sunny Sidekick

Anna has just realeased her new bag pattern Sidekick Tote, and it is a beauty.  I had some daisy canvas bought for bag making a while back so I set to work.   I made the small size. Anna's instructions are always a joy to follow, clearly set out, lots of photographs and full of hints for tricky areas like zippers.  I haven't sewn an inset zipper like this before and I found this easier than putting a zip in a wallet or pouch
I haven't sewn an inset zipper like this before and I found this easier than putting a zip in a wallet or pouch.  The end extends past the opening like her  Open Wide Zipper Pouch so there are no lumpy bits to fit into the seam.    The pocket is easy to make and is the perfect size to have your phone readily to hand.  For the lining I used Essex yarn dyed linen, available at Eternal Maker  and Justine is also planning to stock it in her newly acquired shop, Simply Solids.  The tape measure print is Japanese linen from Etsy a while ago and the red polka is poplin from a local shop. I used webbing for the strap.
 I took it to the beach yesterday.  The first time I have travelled more than 2 miles in months, with the help of travel tablets and some concentrated starting at the floor rather than out of the window, we successfully managed a short train trip to our local beach for some gorgeous September sun.  When we got close enough for me to look out of the window I nearly cried.  It has been hard living so close to the sea and not seeing it all summer.
  Bag in action with feathery Tova (shamelessly inspired by Angela).
Anna's pattern is on sale here.
sib blog

18 comments:

  1. love the bag - I bought the pattern the other day and am waiting for some zips to arrive. So glad you managed to get out and about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great that you were able to get out to the sea, makes me wanna do the same, walking along beach, in the autumn sun... (well,maybe actually in the rain). Love your bag and what you create, great inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm delighted to read you made it to the beach - well done, good job you did it yesterday and not today!! Hope you continue to get better. Gorgeous bag too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! So glad you managed to get to the beach. The train is so tricky with vertigo! Great bag too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bag, can't wait for Anna's class at Sewing Summit (while thinking I need to behave demurely and not like a crazed psycho fan!)

    So glad you were able to get out for a bit, I know how frustrating the whole process is, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely bag & Tova. Am so glad you made it to the beach on such a gorgeous day! Sx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Tova and fabric you used. Looking at it I'm starting thinking of sewing myself one. Just one question - for such shirts you use normal quilting weight cotton? Or it is some other kind of fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a quilting weight one. They are stiffer in quilting weight. The nicest fabric to use is lawn or voile, the gathers are more subtle and the feel is softer but it is personal preference really. Art Gallery quilting cotton is a finer and would be a good weight between the usual quilting cottons and thinner lawn.

      Delete
  8. I am so happy for you that you've finally managed to travel!! Looks like a brilliant day for the beach as well.
    Your bag and Tova are lovely Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you made it to the beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely day to be out and about on. Hope you make it back to the sea soon. Great bag and top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a fun day at the beach! i bought anna's pattern last week and i am looking forward to making one this week hopefully! ;) xo love yours so much kerry and your tova is so cute! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for sunny days out, I'm so glad you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really glad you made it out and about. You look great with your top and bag. I'm getting more and more tempted to make a to a for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh your bag is soooo cute! Anna comes up with such a cool bag pattern each time and you always nail it! If I had the bag, I couldn't help myself opening the pocket multiple times for no reasons just because it looks cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bella la tua borsa, mi piace molto il modello e il tessuto.
    ciao Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  16. totally beautiful kerry!!! thank you for such kind words too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad you were able to have a day out. I didn't realize you were still suffering with the dizziness. Your bag and Tova top look very pretty

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.