Tuesday 15 January 2013

Baby Bear Paw Quilt Plan

I have a baby nephew on the way very soon so I need to get on and make a baby quilt.  I saw glimpses of  Timber and Leaf by Sara Watts  a few months back and knew I had to have it.  I ordered a selection from Eternal Maker and some 'Seaside'  October Afternoon by Riley Blake which goes with it perfectly.


Beautiful colours and prints


Seaside October Afternoon is on the left, Timber and Leaf on the right.


Here is my plan, based on a bear paw quilt block, very simple and easy- Baby Bear Quilt.   The fabrics are doing the work in this quilt so I wanted plenty of space for the picture designs.  The large 12" squares will be alternating Fawn in birch grey/ bear brush beat in taupe prints- I have a half yard of each.  I am using a selection of FQs for the half square triangles, the plaid for the binding- that may change, and a mix of the yellows for the crisscrossing centre strip and some quilting plans for those strips too.


I'll be posting all the details online as I make it.  I have a heavy workload at the moment so I can't guarantee exactly when but this needs to get made in the next month so that gives me a push to get going!  I will be including cutting details for using a Sizzix Big Shot as well as standard half square triangles.  I had this sent to me before Christmas for a project and you can see from the cutting pads, it has been in constant use.  The half square triangle dies are a joy to use and I went and bought a 2.5" square die immediately for sorting scraps.


Here are the other posts so you can cut, sew, quilt and bind your Baby Bear Paw Quilt.

Making the blocks is here
Completing the top is here
Spiral quilting is here
Binding with glue is here

21 comments:

  1. I also like Timber and Leaf fabrics very much. Mine are on their way to me for some time already. Cannot wait to see your finished quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Fabs fabrics!Could you show your quilt when it is finish? I know it will look barbaro!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful fabrics, Kerry! I love to see the soft and natural colours and those prints are so sweet! Great plan to show those lovely fabrics! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. the fabrics are lovely, can't wait to see the block made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Realmente las las telas se ven adorables ya quisiera ver el trabajo terminado quedará espectacular!!!
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect choices for a baby boy quilt. I was going to order the same for a baby boy quilt and then found out that the mother to be had already ordered some...I guess I had her taste pegged but now I need a new idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely fabric and a great design too, looking forward to seeing this one finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funnily enough the way this displayed in my reader I read this as 'baby bear' 'paw quilt', I'm so glad there are actually bears in it :oD Looking forward to seeing the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, your new quilts (I mean the plan) looks great! :) And I agree: the colors and fabrics are really beautiful!
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, looks nice. I have a baby boy quilt to make this spring, and I am procrastinating about both pattern and fabric choices....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just saw this fabric for the first time the other day and love it! This quilt is going to be fab!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i really love those prints! Just ordered some last week, they're beautiful! I love the bear paw layout you did, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful quilt in the making - I can totally agree about the Sizzix HSTs, 4.5" and 2.5". Happy cranking xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's going to be a great baby quilt -- I love the fabric you chose! And with those die cut triangles, it should go together lickety-split.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have just received 8 fat quarters of that fabric too and love it. Looking forward to seeing your progress with your quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I love it! Can't wait to see how it comes out---and if you're up for it, a tutorial would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am already loving this quilt, Kerry! A wonderful pattern and cute fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh those fabrics are beautiful - I am looking forward to seeing the finished quilt. All the best with all the hard work you have in hand. :-) And happy 2013 to you (if I didn't say that already?!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just a little tip for using the Big Shot - keep one of the plates not cut into. If you use the Sizzix machine on card, over time the scratches on the cut side will make marks on your card.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.