Friday 15 February 2013

Geese

I love the look of Flying Geese but I hate the lengthy process and the wastage so I have generally avoided them.  I made a big long goose chain for Muriel in a Bee once and  I shied away from them despite my love of Denyse Schmidt's glorious Flock of Triangles quilt.  And then I had a break through whilst having a look at various Sizzix projects on their website.  I found the Swarm Quilt project entrirely based on 2 sizes of geese- the dies did all the work.  I had the half square triangle die already so I set to work getting the remaining triangle die that makes the centre. 
And you can see how easy it is, dog ears trimmed, accurate, minimal wastage- this is where cutting dies really excel- and this one will get used for quarter square triangles too.
 Easy to chain piece....
 Accurate...
and fast!
Neat...
And ready for a border- sorry I can't show more- bound by silence...
Super size geese? Oh yeah!  This one needed this die and this die for a super size block.
For buying online: I have used Crafty Devils Paper Craft and Country View, both competitively prices and quick to send.  
sib blog

19 comments:

  1. I love the hugs one - it's fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The words 'I need a Sissix' keep bouncing about my brain. What a great way to do flying geese and no waste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great 'geese' and I love it that you used Sissex. I'm very tempted to get one. Love the quilt you're making

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um...no dog ears!?! I don't know how much longer I can go without a Sizzex! Cannot wait to see your project :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - this makes geese look much less fiddly! I too am v tempted by a Sizzix especially when I see it making short work of flying geese.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is a great idea and I have a sizzix! Off to get a qst die! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was sighing over a sizzix in the shop only this morning....I want one but it seems like an awful lot of fabric money!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how your pieces came together and that last one is one heck of a big geese!
    I keep saying that I need to get myself a Sizzix and I keep putting it off. Think it's about time I got one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love flying geese and can't wait to see more of your project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this die as well and have been 'geesing' in much the same way. I've kept it on the downlow because the minute I blog something, I lose interest! haha... the sizzix and its dies are so worth it in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What waste? Even cutting it the old fashioned way I am not seeing the waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used the techniques where squares are added to a rectangle, effective, accurate but uses twice the amount of fabric for the finished geese, you must be using another method!

      Delete
  12. Now there's an idea that seems like it might not be as horrible as the other options. I'll bear it in mind the next time I absolutely have to tackle a triangle...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the trapezoid die too, which is fab for geese, and perfect Y seams!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am requesting flying geese blocks from my bee next month. Thanks for this information. I'll check out my dies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for this I was lucky and got a big shot and a couple of dies for Christmas and have been wondering what other dies would be the most useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just ordered a few dies from the sites you mentioned and both offer free delivery! Very Happy! :)

      Delete
  16. If you want a flying geese method without any wastage, try 'Speed Piecing Method B' at this link: http://www.quilterscache.com/H/Howtomakegeese.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for that post! I treated myself to a Sizzix big shot this Christmas but have yet to buy dies for quilting. This post and your recommendations will nudge me in the right direction. Thanks again, oh and super geese :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.