Friday 13 June 2014

How to Catch a Frog and other stories...

I am in a month of deadlines at the moment so when this arrived yesterday I was pleased to stop and have a little read.
This is a review copy.  I don't review many books but this sounded a little different, not a sewing book and although there are 'makes' included in the text these are incidental, this is a memoir not a craft book.  As it says on the cover, stories of family, love, dysfunction, survival and DIY.  Beautifully presented, it's like an vintage illustrated hardback that reminds me of my old copies of Little Women, or What Katy Did with its mix of text and occasional sketchy drawing.  I sat and read the first three chapters late last night and I really loved it.  I was expecting whimsical, cutesy even but it's not that at all.  I wasn't sure if there would be enough for me to relate to- I grew up in a  small Yorkshire town not rural Vermont- but actually, I related to so many things. I am a child of the 1970s with some unconventional parenting mixed in with more standard teacher family life.  Heather Ross' voice quickly engages you  and leads you into her world.  I can't wait to read more.  I'll report back when I'm finished.  Meanwhile, any summer read recommendations out there?  I have been reading Longbourne by Jo Baker which takes you into Pride and Prejudice but this time from the perspective of the servants.  That sounds a bit naff but actually the Pride and Prejudice reference is just a hook, and the world and work of the servants is gripping in itself with twists and turns as the story develops.  The language is beautiful, with lengthy descriptions of laundry and domestic tasks and the sheer heaviness and boredom of the servant existence.  I am half way through and I am saving it for my next train journey to London for Saturday at Fat Quarterly Retreat.  If you can recommend something, please share in the comments x

sib blog

5 comments:

  1. I bought a copy a couple of weeks back and delighted in sitting on my bum (very unusual) and reading it all in one day. I really enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  2. The City of Thieves by David Benioff. I recommend this book to anyone who will listen but I loved it from start to finish :) http://www.amazon.co.uk/City-Thieves-David-Benioff/dp/0340977396/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402723972&sr=1-1&keywords=david+benioff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I ordered it based on the photo you had on IG yesterday, so it had better be good ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking of ordering it, but wasn't too sure what to expect. As for books, I've just re-read the first 4 Diana Gabledon outlander series as her latest new one has just come out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.