Friday 26 June 2015

#farmgirlfridays Week Nine: Feed and Seed

Hi, welcome to the week nine in the Farm Girl Vintage Sew Along #farmgirlfridays that the Fat Quarter Shop and Lori Holt are running for Lori's new Farm Girl Vintage book. The pace is gentle; one block a week, each Friday feature's two guest bloggers and you can either drop in and make a single block, small project or go for the whole quilt!  I chose to make the 'Feed and Seed' block.  It's a classic quilt block and I am a sucker for blocks like this one that feature a square on point within a square, I like the way they look like they are blooming!


You can find Sew Along schedule here.  The Feed and Seed block is on page 30 of the Farm Girl Vintage book.  Jessie has another block on her blog today and Lori posts on her blog each week.   This link will take you to a big picture post by Lori so you can get an in depth look inside the book. The hashtags will helps you find other's taking part and insertion for your block- try these! #feedandseedblock #farmgirlvintage


As with Lori's other books published by It's Sew Emma, the book making arm of The Fat Quarter Shop, Farm Girl Vintage is spiral bound with great photography and clear diagrams and instructions.  There are tables, diagrams for each part of the block making process and lots of sizing options.   There is a grand real of fourteen projects which includes ten quilts, two table runners, a table topper and a potholder.  There are forty five sampler blocks, all featured in the sew along.  I chose to make a 6" block and extend the sides and edges with extra pieces to make a mat for our table.


My fabric choices came out of a block I did for My Small World Quilt Along.  I liked the colour palette so much I wanted to repeat it!  The fabrics are a mix of Lori Holt's (the text prints,) Ayumi Takahashi's Lighthearted, Pam Kitty Morning's dots and a Sevenberry pink floral.  


The binding is Michael Miller Painter's canvas in Mermaid.  It is bias cut to curve round the corners but otherwise 2.25" wide, double folded quilt binding, machined to the front and hand finished on the reverse.   If you are making a square cornered pot holder,  Fat Quarter shop have put together a helpful video  on using the backing fabric as binding.



Farm Girl Vintage Stockists:
Many of these shops will send elsewhere in the world.

sib blog

10 comments:

  1. I do like the colour of that binding. Suits this perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! Love the fabrics...especially that plaid with the curly doodle!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual your fabric choices are spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pot holder is way too beautiful to use in the kitchen! Heaven forbid some tomato sauce splashed on those gorgeous fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola espero que te encuentres bien, muy linda tu entrada.
    Saludos desde Costa Rica.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yours turned out really cute. I love the FarmGirl quilt along. I have the book and the fabrics and everything else you can imagine.... except time.
    So following along and just being inspired.
    I am taking care of my 92 year old parents, and my daughter just had a baby We are all really close by, and close So this is my life now. I love it.
    Reading blogs and sewing incredibly slowly is my thing now.
    Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colours/fabrics you chose!!! And thanks for all the links, so much inpiration.
    Groetjes
    Annemieke

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great color choices...love the pink and grey in the mix.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.