Week 13 and two contrasting blocks in the Farmer's Wife 1930s Quilt Along. Starting with block 25, Crystal, (p. 148, letter 184) which took me an awfully long time, I'll be sharing my foundation paper piecing tips for this one in my Periscope broadcast later today. Jo Avery is guest posting about Crystal and she used English Paper Piecing- read all about it on her blog, she's talking about colour!
Bonnie and Camille for Moda, Daysail Cross hatch in Aqua
Bella Solids in Peacock
Kona Corn Yellow
I was a bit wary of block 26, daffodil (p. 185, letter p. 106). In the end I used the foundation paper piecing pattern from the CD - hence it is the mirror image of the book image, but I did make a minor change...
Windham Playdate in ditsy blue
Yellow: Moda Garden Project, Vintage floral pear
Kona Sour Apple
I shortened the leaf in section A- you can see in the block diagram below:
On the diagram, I've covered up the original seam line between A1 and A2 and drawn a new dashed red line in as replacement. This changes the shape of the leaf and makes it a bit more delicate. It makes no difference to the piecing of the block, it's purely an aesthetic change.
I used the freezer paper template technique as I did with Bride and many other blocks so far and all the pieces were pre-cut in this way before being pieced together.
Top piecing tips for this block:
- Use freezer paper templates to pre-cut all the pieces.
- Use water based glue stick like Sewline to stick the the first piece of each section.
Remember you can:
- Use the hashtags Don't forget to use #fw1930sqal on Instagram and the Flickr group if you like to share there.
- For individual blocks, you can use #crystalblock and #daffodilblock on Instagram. are using these hash tags, #fw25crystal, #fw26daffodil, I'm using both hashtag systems.
- You can also copy and paste links to any blog posts you do on these blocks in the comments and I'd love to visit and take a look.
- Watch and join in on Periscope. I'll be talking about piecing periscope.tv/@verykb at 2.30pm GMT today. It will be available for 24 hours to replay before it disappears! Link will be in my twitter feed @verykb and I'll post on Instagram and twitter about 15 minutes before it goes out.
Please note: I have linked to my sponsors on items bought through them and elsewhere for anything that has come from other shops.
You can join the quilt-along at any time, all the posts are here for you to catch up with. Back next Monday with Sarah Edgar of Pretty Fabrics & Trims and blocks 27 and 28. They are quite fiddly blocks, lots of small pieces... deep breaths, it will be fine!