Friday 22 February 2013

Spring skirt- twirly whirly

 As promised, a skirt heavy post, a Lonsdale skirt.  Size 6 (USA sizing), this is a perfect fit for me, it sits low waist just bellow my belly button.  I am quite short in the body so I prefer a lower waist so I don't feel cut in half.  I cut the longest length on the size 2 hem as that was the best way to get a maxi length out of 2m of 58" wide fabric.  I cut the waistband lengthways instead of usual with the grain- again squeezing this out of 2m but as this needs to be firm having a bit less stretch was beneficial.  The huge bonus of this pattern is that only the waistband  needs to be tested- get the fit of that right and everything else should follow, no muslin needed.
This fabric is Melody Miller, Ruby Star Spring- light-medium linen blend, no lining.  My brother bought mine from M is for Make for Christmas, you can also find it at Eternal Maker.  It is a Spring weight- I have not been able to wear this on the chillier days this week- just too cold!  You can find the Lonsdale pattern here.
There is a lot of fabric in this skirt and I would really recommend using a wider width- more economical and a lot less wastage than a standard 44" width.  It would also cost a small fortune to make it with a one way print or pile- like corduroy for the same reasons, shame as it would be heaven in Chicopee cord.

Mmm swirly.  I should thank my photographer daughter for the booty shots.
The pockets are a dream, simple construction, great shape, french seams (details of which I found here) and the perfect size.  I am a pear shape, albeit a small one, and I find a bit of detail like these pockets really helps the look of a skirt over rounder areas.  Time for a pocket close up...
 I put a little detail: top stitching down centre seams front and back.
This also doubles as a way of finishing seams.  As all the skirt seams have an element of bias they won't fray easily anyway.  I have highly sensitve skin and sometimes even the threads of a serged seam can rub so I opted for pinking shears for centre seams,
And overlocker/serging for the side seams.  You can also see the hem here, a tiny double fold using this method which is great for a full circle skirt and there is only one line of stitching visible on the front.
I used an invisible zipper combined with the technique in the Colette Ginger skirt pattern which seams the waistband facing into the zipper.  A very wise tutorial on invisible zipper insertion can be found here.
I used a little lightweight iron on cotton interfacing for the zipper and it works like a dream.  The base of invisble zippers always seems a little vulnerable especially in an area that will get sat on and the interfacing adds a bit of strength and helps when inserting the zip for the inevitable unpicking- there is always some.
And as L and I were in the 'garden' (optimistic term for a tiny yard), Lottie had to be there too, she is trying to be good here, trying not to jump up and then she can have a big cuddle!
sib blog

30 comments:

  1. great skirt! And could your dog be any cuter? I think not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this skirt! I love the MM circles and wish they had done it in the heavier weight fabric for bagmaking but now seeing your skirt I see new possibilities! It all looks so neat - v impressed with the zip - going to try that interfacing trick. Such a lovely skirt - you are going to get lots of compliments when you wear it out & about x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a beautiful skirt! I've been hoping we'd get pics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes quite a beautiful outfit...wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, pretty! Hope Lottie got her cuddles after that :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything about this is great... perfect fabric choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful skirt Kerry, it really suits you! Love those pockets!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks fab! And very well co-ordinated with your cardigan ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's gorgeous!
    P.S. Lottie is soooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a gorgeous skirt and your sweater matches it perfectly! Your little dog is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! It looks great on you, and fabulous choice of fabric! But say, are you telling me it is spring over there? Not here, not yet.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. That skirt and that fabric seem like a match made in heaven. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks fabulous - as does the whole outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic skirt Kerry! Great pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely skirt....and a great fashion photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Still love those pockets and looking forward to the day when my daughter can take such useful photos rather than those of the floor or sky!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a lovely skirt Kerry - here's hoping the sun comes out soon so that ou can wear it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kerry, it's lovely and the pockets look perfect. Oh, and I just love the swirly photo.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the skiet, jealous of your hair (and yourr invisible zipmfitting skills) and hellloooo to the pupple!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! Gorgeous colours too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. beautiful skirt - loving the swirl too

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful amazing skirt! All the finishing is just perfect. One day I'd like to be able to match your garment finishing skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny replying to another Kerry! I couldn't find your email but thank you x

      Delete
  23. I love the skirt--great fabric choice. And you are just so cute! Wow, I wish I was small like you. Yes, I agree--amazing skills you have!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks absolutely beautiful on you, Kerry! The shape, the pattern, and the design - all fit you so well! I so wish I had your mad skills to whip up skirts like that so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.