Thursday 30 April 2015

Me Made May 2015

me-made-may'14
It's that time again!  The weather is on the up and a sewer's thoughts turn to dress making.  Me Made May starts tomorrow so there's still time to make your pledge at So Zo Don't You Know where Zoe is your delightful host.  She explains everything you need to know about pledging.  The emphasis is on making a pledge that is suitable for you.  I didn't quite know what to pledge.  I usually where me made clothes most of the time, I buy very little commercially made clothing and every month I add something to my wardrobe that I have sewn.  Fundamentally, I look forward to this month as a celebration and inspiration of garment sewing as well as a chance to make new connections and friendships via the hash tag #mmmay15 on Instagram.   Here are some of my plans- not all for May, just for optimistic Spring and Summer sewing in an ideal world.  As my Grandpa used to say when I was a child, my eyes are bigger than my belly.

On a recent visit to Preston to see relatives, I found some wonderful fabric at the Flag market from a trader who I have bought from many times over the years. Everything I bought was £7/metre or less. His fabrics are famous names- Ralph Lauren, Liberty,  great quality and bargain prices.  Above, Ralph Lauren pink floral linen/cotton.  The blue denim was an ebay bargain.  Possible plans for these include some 1970s style wide leg trousers with white top stitching and a semi fitted top, by Liesl Gibson for Butterick B6183.


This beauty is another rumoured-to-be Ralph Lauren linen/cotton.  I've seen this fabric on a few garment sewer Instagram pics and I could not resist it.  I bought 3 metres at a ridiculously good price and if there had been more money in my purse, I'd have bought the bolt.  The quality is excellent.  I plan to make the Lisette dress, B6168, but maxi length.


And finally this generous nautical print (which I can't find on the ebay store, guessing it has sold out)  Another linen/cotton.  With the scale of this print I wanted a simple dress without cut outs on the bodice so Christine Hayne's Emery dress is perfect.  I might make the skirt very full for this one.  
The fabrics can also be found on ebay but the prices are higher to allow for ebay charges/paypal I guess.  Everything I've bought from this seller has been excellent.   On the stall there was also a large range Liberty seconds in lawn, poplin, cotton/silk, cotton/wool, jersey and a lycra swimwear style blend.  If you are in Preston, I recommend the Flag market just for this stall if nothing else- I was there on a Wednesday. 

So back to Pledging.

" I, Kerry Green from verykerryberry.blogspot.co.uk, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May 2015.  I will endeavour to wear one or more me-made item each day for the duration of May and to sew any new garments from existing stash fabrics and patterns."

More than anything I plan to enjoy it.  Post outfit pics as and when I feel like it on IG and enjoy seeing what everyone else gets up to.  The Friday themes that come via the Flickr group are always fun. 




sib blog

5 comments:

  1. That nautical fabric is gorgeous! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Just pondering my own pledge ahead of tomorrow, trying to squeeze in a little more than last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love you fabric choice. Today I made the Lisette top, can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous fabrics, what luck, I'd have swept up the silk/cotton and linen/cotton blends, my favourite fabrics. I'm looking forward to seeing the clothes made up now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make! One of these days I'll get back to dressmaking (although I was only ever a beginner!) and actually have something to wear for MMMay!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.