Thursday 19 September 2013

500 Quilt Blocks: A peek inside

Self promotion does not always sit easy with me, but forgive me, I am a more than a little excited as is Lynne.  Advance copies of our book, 500 Quilt Blocks arrived today.
There are three formats, an aqua green hardback for UK(and maybe elsewhere?), an aqua green UK soft back  (not as vivid as the Amazon pic, much softer colour) and the blue hardback which is for the USA market.  The contents are the same, it's just the covers and the jackets which vary.
The book is a small format, just 6" x 6" and 1" thick and it is packed with blocks, instructions and pics .  There are 100 core blocks ranging from the simplest 4-patch to curves and paper piecing of more advanced blocks.  Each core block has 4 variation and there are 20 projects, each using a different block.  Lynne and I will have copies to sell imminently and book plate stickers too, these were just the advance copies, the publishers are waiting for the next bulk shipment.  So meanwhile, here are a few of my favourite blocks and projects.  This is 'Mother's Dream'.
Lynne and I decided on the blocks we were doing and were aiming to include all our favourites, represent our different design styles with new blocks, modern blocks and classic blocks.  I did a series of five animal blocks called 'Pets' based on cats and dogs.  This is dog block is for my cavalier Lottie and like her, it always makes me laugh when I see it.  The black cat with the white nose and chin reminds me of Bob, our late much loved moggy.  These are rotary cut blocks.
I love spool blocks and thinking of all the times I have seen wonderful online quilters and friends make great quilts and projects with the friendship butterfly/spool block, I knew that this block had to be in our book.  I chose it for a project bag.  There is a full size paper piecing template in the book for this.
If you've been reading my blog for a while, you will know well my love of kitchenalia so there are a set of five blocks called 'Pots and Pans', all rotary cut and include a kettle, teapot, casserole dishes, and a milk pan.  All are rotary cut and any would be suitable for the obligatory potholder project.
Lynne did the lion's share of the quilts in this book- we each know our strengths.  I made one quilt, 'Baby Love', a baby sized square quilt which uses number, letter and giant heart blocks.  I used Oakshot elements for the solids so there is a bit of shimmer in there too and it is beautifully soft and cuddly.
It was a huge amount of work all packed into a little book.  Three months from start to finish, which is a very fast turn around.  I had the best co- author, a wonderful friend and support through some hard times that just happened to crop up during the writing so a shout out and lots of love to Lynne xxx We brought the best out in each other design wise and also kept each other going when we were exhausted and near the last of the 250 blocks we were each churning out last February.  Today has been very special, seeing it all in print.
sib blog

59 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post and thank you so much. I am so happy we wrote this book together and I genuinely couldn't have got through the process with you. I think if we read back through some of our emails during those three months and he proofing stage, we'd laugh our knickers off. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations again Kerry! I look forward to getting a copy soon and I will definitely need one of your bookplates--such a smart idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! The sneak peeks you've given us look brill! Think I might have to get a copy! xx
    P.S. Sorry for being stupid, but what is a bookplate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sticker with a design on it and signed by both of us -some people want signed copies and it is the easiest way to organise it and to send overseas.

      Delete
  4. Just wonderful. Your little baby that you nurtured for months is about to go off into the big wide world. You should be so proud! CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I hope you sell a zillion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks amazing, can't wait to see the real thing. Also very cool that you guys have the same UK publisher as me (Search Press), you are such trend setters lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like such a fun block. I love seeing so many different blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those copies look amazing! You both are such talented ladies and so happy to see you in print! Can't wait to get one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does it come out soon enough that I can add it to my Xmas wish list?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Kerry! Looks fantastic and as I love your works, I'm sure this book is full of beautiful blocks and things made with lovely fabrics! Great idea for Christmas present! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am floored at the amount of work the two of you must have done for this book. I pre-ordered a while ago and can't wait for mine to arrive! Congratulations, it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonderful! it looks great and i can't wait to snatch one up! congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing achievement you two! I have been reading your blog's for a few years. The book looks really tempting and i really try to resist buying books. Those pictures look great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This book looks stunning, I can't wait to get a copy! thanks for the sneak peeks and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I pre-ordered your book a wee while back on Amazon and I can't wait to see it! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a fantastic book, can't wait to get my own copy. Congratulations!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving the preview it all looks SO good!! What a huge accomplishment congrats to both of you X

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so thrilled for you both! Congratulations - looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations Kerry - it looks just wonderful. You and Lynne are an inspiration. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks fabulous! Congratulations! You must be tickled pink! ...or aqua ;o) Hugs, L xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations Kerry. It looks fabulous . I can't wait for my copy . Will be making the Mother's Dream block for sure ! Love the photography. I'm so excited for this book !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Many many congratulations. Your books looks amazing - definitely on my wish list for my birthday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. So yummy! I'm so excited for my book to arrive and so happy to see some of the fantastic blocks! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very cool - I'm really happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats, Kerry!! I can't imagine it took you ONLY three months to work on 250 blocks for this amazing book. Wow you must be a bionic superwoman or simply an extraordinarily talented quilter!! I have already pre-ordered your book on Amazon U.S., and I'm patiently waiting for the book to arrive in my hands ;D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations, Kerry. Such a shame that it wasn't available last weekend. Wishing you huge sales.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can't wait for a real copy of this! Love the cover too, it turned out really fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. it looks wonderful! Congratulations to both of you on a job well done :-D

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations Kerry! I truly dont know how you managed projects and so many blocks in such a short period of time. You are truly an amazing woman! Its a gorgeous, gorgeous book!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations. I pass on a lot of quilt books but I think I'm going to need this one!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations...may it be a huge success for your and the quilting world. I will definitely have this one on my list. I also love that it is small.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely post about your new book! I'm so glad you did some self promotion ~ how else would we know about it? How exciting to have a book published with your name on it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. oh, and I pre-ordered it just now ~ can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So much work in so short a time -- the book looks amazing! Congratulations and I can't wait to get a copy and get to work on several hundred of the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  35. congrats! will there be an e-book version?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations on such a fantastic looking book! Have not bought a quilt block book before but LOVE the look of the pot holders so am very much looking forward to when this is released, looks awesome.

    Rhi @ The Sewing Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  37. Well done Kerry, I look forward to buying my copy! Love Joan x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love the idea of this book, and the dinky size! It must be so exciting to see it in print, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Yay! Thanks for the preview. I pre-ordered it on Amazon US a couple of weeks ago and can hardly wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Congrats....it looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I cannot wait to get my own copy. Congratulations on such a huge project, it must just feel so good to hold it in your own hands, all done.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I've just preordered the book on Amazon. I'm new to quilting and on my first patchwork beginners course. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE may I have a bookplate. This will be a great start to my quilting library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is lots of helpful beginner's info in there as well as blocks to advance to, and the bookplates will be available when the books arrive very soon- here and on Lynne's blog- Lily's Quilts

      Delete
    2. I can't wait to receive it.

      Delete
    3. I can't wait to receive it.

      Delete
    4. I can't wait to receive it.

      Delete
  43. Congratulations! Sounds like a great book to me and I think I have to have one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Congratulations!! it looks wonderful, I can't wait to see it in the shops.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Ooh how exciting! It must seem a bit unreal to have a book in your hands that was written by you. Can't wait to get a copy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Dear, dear Kerry,

    Congratulations! What a HUGE achievement! The book looks great, and oh how proud you should be to... All that work and your name printed on top! Just wonderful.

    Have the best autumn, and he warmest greetings from Finland!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  47. Congrats Kerry. Sounds like the perfect book! Good luck with it. It's on my birthday list!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I JUST PREORDERED!!! I'M SO EXCITED I'M TYPING IN CAPPPS!

    ReplyDelete